14 Jul How to Create a ‘Wet Look’ with Patio Sealer
A ‘wet look’ finish on a patio can enhance its overall appearance, giving it a glossy and vibrant aesthetic. Homeowners can achieve this desired effect by using the appropriate patio sealer and applying it correctly. In this blog post, we will guide you through the steps to create that coveted ‘wet look’ finish for your patio.
Step 1: Gather the necessary materials
Before you begin, make sure you have all the required materials at your disposal. You will need:
- High-quality patio sealer: Look for a sealer specifically designed to provide a patio seal wet look finish. Here at Swiss Seal, we produce a wide range of patio sealers for most types of hard surfaces, and our sealers are developed to provide lasting protection.
- Cleaning supplies: Ensure your patio is clean and free from dirt, debris, and stains. You may need a broom, pressure washer, or mild detergent to thoroughly clean the surface.
- Safety equipment: Wear protective gear such as gloves, safety glasses, and a mask to protect yourself from potential fumes and chemicals.
Step 2: Prepare the patio surface
Preparation is essential for achieving an optimal ‘wet look’ finish. Remove any furniture, plants, or objects from the patio to create a clear workspace. Next, sweep away any loose dirt and debris. For stubborn stains or grime, use a pressure washer or a mild detergent and scrub the surface with a brush. Rinse thoroughly and allow the patio to dry completely.
Step 3: Apply the patio sealer
Now that your patio surface is clean and dry, it’s time to apply the patio sealer to create the ‘wet look’ effect.
- Read the instructions: Familiarise yourself with the manufacturer’s instructions provided with the patio sealer. Different sealers may have specific application requirements, drying times, and curing periods.
- Test a small area: Before you apply the sealer to the entire surface, we advise you to test a small area to ensure you achieve the desired ‘wet look’ effect.
- Start from the furthest corner: Begin applying the sealer from the furthest corner of your patio, working your way towards the exit. This prevents you from walking on the freshly sealed surface.
- Use a roller sprayer: Depending on the product and manufacturer recommendations, use a roller or sprayer to apply an even coat of sealer. Ensure the sealer is evenly distributed across the surface.
- Work in sections: Divide your patio into manageable sections to ensure proper coverage and avoid uneven application. Apply the sealer in smooth, overlapping strokes, maintaining a consistent thickness.
- Allow drying and curing: Once you have applied the sealer to the entire patio, follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding drying and curing times. It’s important to allow sufficient time for the sealer to dry and cure to achieve the desired ‘wet look’ finish.
Step 4: Maintain the ‘Wet Look’ finish
To maintain the glossy and vibrant ‘wet look’ of your patio, it’s essential to follow proper maintenance practices. Here are a few key tips:
- Regular cleaning: Keep your patio clean by sweeping away debris and periodically washing it with mild detergent and water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that could damage the sealer.
- Avoid heavy movement: Minimise dragging heavy furniture or objects across the patio, as this can cause scratches or wear down the sealer.
- Periodic reapplication: Over time, the ‘wet look’ finish may fade due to exposure to the elements. Depending on the type of sealer used and the manufacturer’s recommendations, periodic reapplication may be necessary to maintain the desired effect.
Creating a ‘wet look’ with patio sealer can transform the appearance of your outdoor space, giving it a sleek and polished finish. By following the steps outlined in this blog post and using high-quality sealers, you can achieve the desired effect and enjoy a stunning patio for years to come. Remember to prioritise proper surface preparation, adhere to manufacturer instructions, and maintain the sealed surface regularly for long-lasting results.